Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The Road To Retirement


I took the above photograph of my mother Mary and father Nelson in Panama City, Florida back in April of 1975.  My father had retired from dentistry that year, and the 3 of us took a leisurely road trip to Stuart, Florida to visit my Uncle Bill and Aunt Elsie.  My mother and father wanted to see if the condo complex where my uncle and aunt lived might be a good place for them to retire, too.  We drove south from Chicago, through Mississippi (where I almost ran into an elk at 70 miles per hour, by the way), then along the Gulf Coast though Biloxi and Gulfport, Mississippi, through Panama City, Florida, and then across the state of Florida to Stuart.  It was a very enjoyable trip.  We had a nice visit with my uncle and aunt, and my parents decided that Stuart, Florida was indeed the place they should retire to.  Now I will soon be taking that same road to retirement - perhaps literally - but trying to keep both my condo in Denver and the condo in Stuart. In other words, like the rest of my fellow baby boomers, I want it all.  And like they used to say in the old L'Oreal commercials, I deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment