Monday, March 21, 2016

The Lost Slides - Part II




As I discussed in yesterday's Blog, a few days ago I ran across a shoe box full of "lost" slides that I took back in the 1970s, when my parents and I lived in the southern Chicago suburb of Country Club Hills (warning: don't go there!). Among the slides were photographs of a one day trip to Charleston, Illinois to visit Lincoln sites. The photograph on the left shows my father Nelson and mother Mary in front of the house of Abraham Lincoln's stepmother, Sara Bush Lincoln, and her daughter, Matilda Johnston.  A few miles away is the home of Thomas Lincoln - Lincoln's father - and Sara Bush Lincoln that they occupied during Thomas' lifetime.




Although I have always had - and still do have - a mind like a steel trap, I totally forgot about this trip to Central Illinois (motto: if you think it's boring here, try Kansas), and was happy to see these photographs from the past.  I only had time to scan 4 photos from that shoe box full of slides, but will upload them into my computer as time allows and share them on this blog (be sure to keep 2019 open).  In any case, what really strikes me as a first reaction is just how dorky everybody looked back then.  And yes - that is indeed me along with my mother Mary in the photograph on the right.  Me dorky? No way.

No comments:

Post a Comment