Saturday, March 26, 2016

Spring Blizzard!






Yes.  The Denver area was hit by a spring blizzard yesterday, closing down the airport and most of the schools and businesses in town.  I woke up to the view in the photograph on the left of the University of Denver's Ritchie Center, hardly visible through the blowing snow.




Conditions were bad any direction you went outside Denver, but in town, it wasn't all that terrible.  The buildings sheltered the roads from the wind, and were slushy but driveable.  And because there were a lot fewer cars on the road, I actually got to work quicker than usual.  Officially, Denver got 12 inches of snow, but one of the employees at the bookstore where I work measured the snow on one of the tables outside the store and saw that we got 15 inches of snow here in central Denver (see photo on right).  However, just to the east of us in Aurora they got 25 inches, so a lot depended on where you live in the Denver area.  The bookstore where I work closed at 7:00 P.M., when the sun would set and the roads froze and became skating rinks.





Of course, as usual with these storm, the next day the sun  came out and the storm was all but forgotten.  And why am i reporting on this storm on Saturday if it occurred on Wednesday?   Because I could not upload any photographs into my computer the past few days.  I was all set to buy a new computer, and being a cheapskate that made me really grumpy, but then one of the computer guys at the bookstore suggested trying a different cord, and it worked.  Good thing I never became a doctor, or I would be advising brain surgery for every bad headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment