Thursday, January 26, 2017

My Mother's 101st Birthday!


Today would have been my mother's 101st birthday if she were still alive.  I am therefore featuring a photograph of her sitting in the backyard of our house in the South Side Brainerd neighborhood of Chicago, taken back in the 1950s.  I am using this particular photograph because I remember my mother mentioned several times to me that it was one of her favorites.  In the background, you can see our back porch, which my father had built to add an extra room to our 5 room Georgian.  As I have mentioned before, when my sister went off to school at Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois, I inherited her bedroom. When she came back, however, she wound up sleeping on the back porch.  Although she did forgive me for the outrage of being born when I turned 60, she has never forgiven me for taking her bedroom, and mentions it on the average of once a month. Perhaps she will forgive me for this when I am 70.  One can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment