Sunday, January 8, 2017

The MCA Denver - What Hath The Art World Wrought?



Yesterday was one cent day at the Museum of Contemporary Art  - Denver, and since the price was right, I decided to check it out.  At the admission desk I got a little nervous because the two 20-something women in front of me handed the clerk dollar bills without getting any change, but I needn't have worried.  They evidently didn't have - or want - any change.  I, on the other hand, had change but no dollars, so it all worked out.  I have not visited this museum too often in the past.  I have found the art there is just a little too "far out" for my taste, and I must say this trip was no exception.  If anything, over the years it has gotten even weirder.



The first floor was an exhibit called Bodacioussss, described as an alternative perspective on "post-internet" art, where the artists "move fluidly between the physical and digital worlds."  I put together the collage on the right showing some of these pieces. Is weird a strong enough word?  You be the judge. The second floor was dedicated entirely to one artist's work, and the first room featured sculptures called "Ladyjs," which allow a woman to urinate standing up.  There were also photographs along the walls showing women using these devices.  The next room featured work involving gardens seen as objects, and the room after that sculptures with a nature based motif, which seemed almost normal, but I couldn't get those "Ladyjs" out of my mind.  I kept thinking that this woman should be institutionalized.  Then I read the artist's statement and saw that she lives and works in Boulder, Colorado, and so happily realized she already is.



And so why do I keep going to this museum if I hate most of the art there?. The main reason is the building. For 7 years the MCA was located in a renovated fish market in Lower Downtown Denver's Sakura Square. Then they raised enough money to build a first rate facility designed by British architect David Adjaye.  He designed the building with the purpose of eliminating the line between the art inside and the city outside, and he succeeded wonderfully.  Unlike most museums, there are huge floor to ceiling windows with views of the neighborhood beyond, which at the same time allows people on the outside to see the art within.  They might recoil in horror at what they see, but see it they can.



The top floor of the building consists of a much smaller art space, a rooftop garden, and a free-standing, glassed in cafe.  The garden is just a wonderful place to walk around and take in the city views from all sides, and the cafe is a really great, glass-enclosed people space.  And that small exhibit space I mentioned?  This month it is featuring work from a teen art contest, and the walls are covered from floor to ceiling with drawings, photographs, and all other manner of artwork (it can be seen in the top right corner of the collage photograph).  What is most important, however, is that almost all of this artwork is really good, especially the photographs, and all done by teenagers.   Does this mean that art in the future will be far less weird?  One can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment