Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Remembering A Long Ago Summer Sunday



To counteract the negative effects of mid-winter, I am today featuring several photographs I took of my sister Susan and brother-in-law George back in the summer of 1973, during a bike ride along Chicago's lakefront.  I frequently used to put my bicycle in the back of my car, drive downtown, park near the Adler Planetarium, and then bicycle along the lakefront until the parkland ended and the high rises along Sheridan Road began (which I believe can be seen in the photograph on the left).  I am pretty sure Susan and George only accompanied me on this ride once, which I was adroitly able to capture on film.






What amazes me most is just how young they both look.  Of course, this photograph was taken almost 44 years ago. Susan and George had been married a mere 4 years at this time, and I myself was still living at home and a little over a year away from graduating from college.  I assume that the photograph on the right was taken in Lincoln Park.  Susan and George are posing in front of a totem pole, which I don't remember ever being there.  In fact, I didn't even realize that there were Illinois Eskimos that produced that kind of art, but considering the winters we used to have back there, I am not surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment