Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year!


Happy 2017 Everyone!  The year America will become great again!  And as exciting as that prospect is (no doubt featuring privatized social security and war up the wazoo), I am instead turning to the past and featuring a photograph of my mother Mary (on the left) and her cousin Marie on a long ago New Year's Eve. Marie and my mother were very close.  In fact, Marie and her husband Ed - who like my father Nelson was also a dentist - were the ones who introduced my mother and father to each other.  I have no idea what year this photo was taken, but I suspect it was probably taken at Marie and Ed's home in Evergreen Park, Illinois back in the 1950s.  I was never crazy about Evergreen Park, or for that matter the two-flat Marie and Ed lived in - Marie's parents Al and Irene (my mother's aunt) lived in the flat upstairs - but I fondly remember the Hamm's beer sign they had behind the basement bar, called a Scene-O-Rama Rotating Scroll, showing the beautiful "land of sky blue waters."  I loved starring at it, as well as watching the Hamm's Beer cartoon bear commercials on television.  You can buy one of those beers signs (in excellent condition, I might add) on e-bay these days for a mere $1,200, or you can watch some of those classic cartoon bear commercials for free at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yHsoW6CTjM.  It's your choice, people.  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment