Monday, November 19, 2018

Grant Frontier Park



Grant Frontier Park is located along the Platte River, not too far away from my South Denver condo.  To get there you have to cross a bridge over a busy highway  and some railroad tracks, and then drive down a dead end road on the east side of the river.  It is a mostly industrial area, although very modest houses line the east side of the park.  I visited it years ago because it was the site of the first settlement in Denver, and there was what I think was the remains of an original cabin, as well as historical markers explaining the site.  I visited the park about a week ago, and found that it has been all spruced up, but they have removed that original cabin and the historical markers telling the story of the settlement.  Is this because it is not politically correct to mark the site of Denver's first pioneer settlers?  Whatever the reason, I still think it is a shame, despite the fact that the park is indeed all fixed up now.


I walked around a bit and noticed all the bikers riding the bike path along the Platte River.  I used to ride this bike path too years ago, but then for some reason stopped.  The path goes all the way to Littleton, a town 9 miles south of Denver that has been around since 1859, and is a fun place to walk around.  Hopefully when the weather gets warmer, I can start riding this path once again. In any case, walking the length of the park I noticed 4 feral cats (seen in the photo on the left) hanging out in the alley bordering the park.  I am very glad my sister Susan was not with me, because I am sure she would have insisted on taking them all home with her.  I am guessing they would not have come willingly, and the end result would have been having to start using my Medicare plan for the first time, something I am perfectly willing to delay for as long as possible.



There were also quite a few geese hanging out in the park, too.  They were also swimming out in the Platte River, too, which I don't recommend for man or beast (can I still use that phrase?). This of course reminds me that Thanksgiving is just a few days away, and Christmas less than five weeks after that.  I know that turkey is traditional on Thanksgiving, but what could be better than a nice fat goose for Christmas Day?  It would be a damn cheap dinner, too, although the thought that they drink and swim in Platte River water does give me pause. But what's the worse that could happen?  And if there are any negative effects, I can always blame it on the cranberries.  Time to start plucking!

No comments:

Post a Comment