Friday, November 16, 2018

What Might Have Been...




As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, through pure good luck I was able to buy a condo very close to Washington Park, which is one of the best neighborhoods in not only Denver but the entire country.  The houses bordering the east side of Washington Park have a spectacular view of not only the park, but the mountains beyond, and there are many very nice homes that line this street, such as the one in the photograph on the left. I often walk the three or four blocks from my condo across the street from the University of Denver to the park and past these homes.  And back in the 1980s, when I was still married to my then wife Lisa, we thought of actually buying a place on this exclusive street.


It was not too long after we were married - probably around 1983, 84, or 85, and we were looking to buy a house in the area.  We were currently living in an apartment complex called the Woodwinds, the site of which is now a Light Rail Station just 2 doors down from where I now live.  We used to take long walks in the park and noticed that there was a small home for sale right on the park, looking west toward the mountains.  We checked the place out, and found out it was for sale for $279,000.  But back then, there was no way we could afford it, so we just forgot about it.  A couple of years later we got divorced, and so I am sure it would have gotten pretty complicated if we had purchased it. In any case, I recalled all this after walking past what I think was that house, seen on the far left in the photo on the right.  If we bought it, we would have made a small fortune, but on the bright side, I have missed 35 years of lawn work.  A fair trade-off in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment