Friday, November 9, 2018

The Kirkland Museum Of Fine And Decorative Art



I have always liked the Kirkland Museum, which is dedicated to preserving and exhibiting Colorado art of all types, including the paintings of Vance Kirkland, long time head of the University of Denver's School of Art. When I heard they were moving it from it's original location (and the location of Kirkland's art studio, as well) to a site across from the Denver Art Museum, I thought it was a big mistake.  However, this past Saturday night, since admission was free, I decided to check out the new building, and I must admit I was impressed.  This much larger facility has many galleries that can not only display Kirkland's abstract impressionist paintings and the paintings of other Colorado artists, but also it's huge collection of decorative arts.  Best of all, they moved Kirkland's three room art studio to the new site and attached it to the north end of the building, as seen in the above photo collage.  How great is that?  I can't wait for the next free day there.  I am after all a cheapskate.

No comments:

Post a Comment