Thursday, November 14, 2019

The Blue Bear



I went for a walk around downtown Denver the other day, and decided to take the above photograph of the city's famous blue bear, an artwork by Lawrence Argent titled "I see what you mean." I have featured it before on this blog, but figured what the heck, why not do it again since I was passing by. The bear is located in front of Denver's convention center, and is wildly popular.  We even used to sell models of it (and maybe they still do) at the Tattered Cover Bookstore, where I used to work as the bookkeeper.  Sadly, Argent, a former University of Denver art teacher, passed away several years ago at the age of 60 after a liposuction procedure.  Call me old fashioned, but as far as I am concerned, undergoing any kind of elective surgery, especially plastic surgery, is just tempting fate.  My sister had a friend back in Chicago who died  in her 20s from an aneurysm during rhinoplasty (a nose job); a friend of mine's eyesight has never been the same after lasik eye surgery in Montreal; and my neighbor down the hall, who was perfectly healthy, died during a routine colonoscopy (they punctured something). Scary stuff.  And on that cheery note, have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment