Saturday, August 27, 2022

A Subscription Offer From AFAR Magazine


I got an offer to resubscribe to AFAR Magazine about a month ago, and since the price was right, immediately sent in my check. And was surprised at how quickly I received my first issue. I had originally subscribed to this magazine about 10 year ago. I remember this because I read an article about San Francisco's Outer Sunset neighborhood in one of the issues, and visited that neighborhood over a long weekend in that city back in January of 2012. I walked from the Cliff House overlooking the ocean down into the Outer Sunset, and the fog became so thick it was hard to see very far ahead. Fog horns were going off, which made for quite an evocative experience. I finally arrived at my destination, the Riptide, a bar and restaurant featured in the article, and had a couple of beers at a table near the fireplace, listening to those fog horns, before taking the BART back to my motel room, miles away, near the San Francisco airport, which even to me seemed not worth the savings. In any case, I am happy to be getting that magazine again. The summer issue features articles about great cities to visit, and one about the world's best new sustainable hotels, among other stories. Of course, to me, sustainable means pricey. Hopefully Motel 6 will be sustainable enough during my next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment