Sunday, August 7, 2022

Never Thought I'd See The Day - Getting Nostalgic About NACS



I started working as the trade book buyer and assistant manager at the University of Denver Bookstore back in 1984. As a buyer, the following May I got to attend the National Association of College Store's Conference and Trade Show (CAMEX), which took place that year in San Antonio. The first thing I remember about that show is that the first couple of days were cold as hell, and since it was May in Texas, nobody had brought a jacket. Personally, I found these trade shows pretty damn boring and a waste of time, but I did get to see and take photographs of a number of cities, including San Antonio, it's most prominent feature being the Riverwalk, seen in the photograph on the left.



After the Riverwalk, which is lined with restaurants featuring riverfront tables surrounded by hundreds of pigeons, the next most famous sight is the Alamo, seen in the photograph on the right. The Alamo was a bit of a letdown, and you can only walk so many times along the Riverwalk before it begins to get old. However, NACS had some really nice events back then, and maybe still does. One night we had drinks and dinner at the art museum, which we had all to ourselves and I really enjoyed. Another night we had a barbecue at the Lone Star Brewery, once again having the run of the place. What could be better than your own brewery for the evening?



After the first day or two, it really warmed up. As I recall, I took a walk one afternoon away from the tourist district, and was not impressed. The neighborhoods seemed hot, dusty, and pretty ugly. Of course, I was on foot, and didn't know my way around town, and so maybe I missed the nice areas. Also, this was 1985, and so San Antonio must have changed a great deal since then, although I really don't want to go back and find out. In any case, this coming March, NACS will be hosting it's 100th CAMEX (which stands for Campus Market Expo), in New Orleans. The National Association of College Stores caters to institutionally owned college bookstores, and considering the predominance of chain college bookstores like Follett and Barnes & Noble these days, I have to wonder just how many institutionally owned college bookstores are left. Hopefully many more than I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment