Monday, August 29, 2022

The Summer Art Market





This past weekend the Art Students League of Denver's Summer Art Market took place in the streets surrounding its school (the Sherman School, built in 1893), seen in the background of the photograph on the left.  This is a truly wonderful art festival that takes place every summer. Many if not most of the artists seem to be around my age (just a kid), and very accomplished. Student enrollment is around 900, and they are taught by an alternating faculty of about 200.



One of the artists is Carol Till, my friend and former University of Denver Bookstore colleague, seen on the right in the photograph, along with her friend Marga. At least I think her name is Marga - it has been a couple of days, after all, and I never have been good at remembering names, especially as I get older. If her name isn't actually Marga, perhaps she might want to change it to that. But I digress. Carol is a very talented artist who had a booth at the Summer Art Market for the first time in seven years. Be sure to check out her work at http://www.caroltill.com/index.html. Joe Higgins, another friend and former DU Bookstore colleague, is an artist and instructor at the Art Students League of Denver, but is taking a break from exhibiting his work this year, although he was still in attendance, volunteering at the festival all weekend. Check out Joe's monotypes at https://www.joehigginsmonotypes.com/





I was very impressed with the art, especially the work by Michael Rieger and Bryan Dahlberg, both of whom are professional photographers who shared the booth seen in the photograph on the left. They have both branched out into printmaking using photo etching, with wonderful results. I was so impressed that I really want to learn more about the process and perhaps take a class or two at ASLD, although I suspect they might actually charge for those classes, which for a cheapskate like me is always an emotional issue. Decisions decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment