Tuesday, August 16, 2022

The Central City Cemetery





As I mentioned in yesterday's blog post, I drove up to Central City, Colorado this past Friday afternoon to check out that old mining town, and after looking around downtown took Eureka Street (one of the main drags) up the hill to the Central City Cemetery, the entrance to which can be seen in the photograph on the left. The view of the mountains from here is quite impressive, and I decided to get out of the car and walk around a bit. This cemetery dates from the 1860s, and many of the original miners, along with their loved ones, are buried here. It says on the internet that this place is haunted, but I did not get that vibe at all.





The cemetery, at least the part I visited, seems to have been reclaimed by the woods (photo on the right), and the tombstones that I saw, such as the ones in the background, are for the graves of infants. I think I must have not walked far enough to see the main part of the cemetery, which from photographs I have seen on the internet is much more in the open, but I believe this part is the prettiest, with the best views.






What I found pretty amazing is that there were actually toys and coins on some of the infant graves, such as the one seen  in the photograph on the left. This child died on October 29, 1888 at the age of 10 months and 20 days, according to the tombstone, and so I have to wonder who brings these things to the gravesite? Could it be a decendent of the family who still lives in the area? I doubt that it is the ghost of the mother, since I don't think ghosts have loose change in their pockets, although I could be wrong. I often am. In any case, visiting this place was definitely worth the trip up here.


No comments:

Post a Comment