Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Another Art Show In Cherry Creek? Yes! Kind Of...




There was another art show last weekend in Denver's Cherry Creek North neighborhood, but it only occupied Fillmore Plaza, an outdoor block used for events throughout the year, as opposed to the annual Cherry Creek Arts Festival, which occupies almost all of the Cherry Creek North retail district during the 4th of July weekend. I drove over to Cherry Creek Sunday afternoon to look at the art, and it was okay, but just okay. Not too many artists were there, and although there was photography on display, most of it was  either weird looking digital art or Colorado landscapes, which were nice, but looked remarkably the same.




It did not take long to peruse the art, and so I walked around Cherry Creek North for a while to see what was new, which is a lot. When I first moved to Denver, Cherry Creek had a lot of very modest restaurants such as Hops, a Florida brewpub chain that had a Wednesday steak dinner special for $12.95, a Round the Corner Restaurant (where you placed your order from a phone located at each table), and even a Burger King. These days almost all the restaurants are high-end establishments. The photograph on the right is of the patio at True Food Kitchen, where I have never eaten, although I have had brunch just down the street at a restaurant called North Italia, which was very good and actually seemed pretty reasonable.





Years ago Cherry Creek was made up almost entirely of one or two story buildings housing shops and restaurants. These days high-rises are sprouting up all over the place - hotels, office buildings, and even condos and high-end apartments. I took the photograph on the left of the entrance to one of those condo buildings, and I must say, it looks pretty damn nice. And no doubt pretty damn expensive, too. Happily, my condo is only 3 miles away from Cherry Creek, and so I can enjoy the ambiance of the area, but avoid the high cost of living there. A win-win as far as I am concerned. But I still miss Round the Corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment