Monday, August 8, 2022

The Breckenridge August Art Festival 2022



I drove up to Breckenridge from Denver Saturday afternoon to see the Breckenridge August Art Festival, which took place at The Village at Breckenridge, where I took the photograph on the left. I remember going to another art show in "Breck" last year, but that event was held at a completely different location, a park just across the Blue River. I looked the festival up on the internet when I got home, and found that there is also a Breckenridge July Art Festival, as well as several others during the summer. The festival this past Saturday was a fairly large event and a lot of fun, but I have to wonder if the Chamber of Commerce might be overdoing it a bit in their attempt to attract visitors? Those kind of events tend to lose their luster if they take place multiple times during the summer.




The art festival was very nice, and they had a number of photographers displaying their work (mainly Colorado landscapes), but the real draw is Breckenridge itself, which was founded as a mining town in 1859 and still retains a large number of buildings from the 19th century. Right behind Main Street is the Blue River, along which are walkways and the park where I attended that art festival last year. The landscaping throughout the town is quite beautiful, an example of which can be seen in the photograph on the right.




The thing I like most about Breckenridge are those old 19th century houses on Main Street, all of which have been turned into upscale shops, bars, and restaurants, many of them with patios that are perfect for people-watching. It is especially nice there in the fall, when the leaves all turn to gold. The place was as crowded as usual Saturday, the weather perfect, but I have to wonder what it is like there during ski season. Since I am too cheap to buy snow tires and too lazy to put chains on the car, I virtually never venture into the mountains during the winter and early spring. It must be damn chilly sitting on those patios with a cold beer. The ski crowd must be pretty hearty indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment