Monday, July 22, 2024

A Chicago Flashback





I ran across the photograph on the left of my sister Susan and late brother-in-law George the other day that I took along the lakefront in Chicago back in 1973. I am pretty sure that I took it in front of the Shedd Aquarium as we were just starting our ride along the lake from there to where the bike path ended, at Thorndale Avenue and Sheridan Road. Our ride took us along Monroe Harbor, through the Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, and past Oak Street Beach, Belmont Harbor, and other fun sites along the water. I don't see how anyone can take that ride and not believe that Chicago is one of the most beautiful cities in the country.





I took the photograph on the right as we approached Thorndale and Sheridan. At the time, Susan and George were living in an apartment right across from the IC (Illinois Central) station - which is now a brewpub, by the way - in South Suburban Flossmoor. I myself was attending the Illinois Institute of Technology and living with my parents Nelson and Mary in nearby Country Club Hills (which had neither hills, a country club, or for that matter, even trees). And thanks to the magic of the internet, I now realize that this location is the site of "Bob Newhart's Thorndale Beach North Condominium," portrayed as his residence on the Bob Newhart Show, which was on television at the time. It is in the background of the photo right behind Susan. Sadly, Newhart passed away last week at the age of 94. A great show that took place in a great city.

No comments:

Post a Comment