Sunday, July 7, 2024

The 2024 Cherry Creek Arts Festival





My sister Susan and I attended the Cherry Creek Arts Festival here in Denver yesterday afternoon, and I must say we both enjoyed it very much. This festival takes place in the streets of Cherry Creek North and features over 250 juried artists from all over the country. I myself thought the art was especially good this year, although most of the paintings that I thought would look best over my sofa were priced in the six-to-thirteen-thousand-dollar range, which was slightly over my budget.





As usual, it was sunny with temperatures in the 90s, but nobody seemed to mind. Everyone was in a good mood, and Susan tells me she thought the people-watching was actually the best part of the show. A number of people brought their dogs, one of whom wore booties to protect its paws from the hot payment, and one who actually wore shoes. They looked like Bass Weejuns. Do they actually make loafers for dogs these days? Perhaps it is just a Cherry Creek thing.





This is the 33rd year for this event, and it is one of the most prestigious art festivals in the country. It is so prestigious, they don't even have a Giant Turkey Legs booth in the food areas, unlike every other festival in the State of Colorado. Years ago, when the Tattered Cover Bookstore had its main store in the North Cherry Creek neighborhood, attending this festival was a double treat. At that time, the Tattered Cover was one of the largest - if not the largest - bookstore in the country, and once you got done strolling around the art festival, you could head into the Tattered Cover, browse their collection, and enjoy the air conditioning. The TC is now in Chapter 11 bankruptcy and about to be sold to Barnes and Noble. I had my doubts about how that would work out, but people who still work at the bookstore tell me the chain will allow them to continue with a lot of independence, and they are very positive about the future. As for the Cherry Creek Arts Festival, it was well attended and seems to be going strong. Especially if they keep selling those $13,000 paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment