Friday, July 12, 2024

The Return Of The Prodigal Son


Not exactly, of course. Not even close, actually, but it does make it sound much more dramatic. My sister Susan and I returned to our condo in Stuart, Florida for the first time in 15 years yesterday morning, not counting a few short trips to fix the place up to rent out, and we will finally be able to stay there for as long as we want, whenever we want. And it just feels great. I had to drive all over town yesterday to buy a new television, a new microwave, and groceries at Publix, and it looked and felt like nothing there had changed. Granted, the traffic seems worse than it used to during the summer, and Stuart Beach has undergone significant changes since Susan, my mother Mary, and I used to hang out there years ago, but those are minor issues. And I couldn't be happier to be back. The only fly in the ointment is that due to the huge increase in the cost of property insurance, monthly HOA fees have gone through the roof. Of course, being a curmudgeon and a self-proclaimed cheapskate, it does give me something to complain about. And I can always get a part-time job as a bag boy at Publix if I need to. So no problem. The self-portrait above, by the way, shows me in front of the entrance to our side of the complex, along the St. Lucie River. Our condo, the end unit located on the first floor, can be seen in the background. Paradise Regained!

No comments:

Post a Comment