Thursday, July 18, 2024

Yacht Or No Yacht? That Is The Question


A few years ago, while we were renting out our condo in Stuart, Florida, I daydreamed about buying a used live-aboard cabin cruiser, mooring it at a marina just down the street. At the time, it cost around $600 to dock it there, and my sister Susan and I and her dog Blackberry, who was still alive then, could live aboard it, keep renting the condo, and I could finally begin channeling my inner Travis McGee. I even looked online at Boat Trader and found a suitable candidate at a price I could afford. I even called the marina and asked them if that cabin cruiser was in good condition and sea-worthy. The answer was "you get what you pay for." Which means of course it either would have sunk with all hands aboard or else required a tow, which I have leaned costs about $750. Can you not just call AAA? I'm a member! In any case, I decided it was best to wait and take back the condo when we could, and just admire the boats from the shore. The photograph above, by the way, shows a little inlet off the St. Lucie River which we pass almost every day on our way to Publix and back. Now THAT is a sight you don't see on your way to the King Soopers grocery store in Denver.

No comments:

Post a Comment