Monday, May 30, 2022

Memorial Day Memories





As I have mentioned in previous blog posts, back when I was married to my then wife Lisa, she, my sister Susan, brother-in-law George and I would go on a hike in Rocky Mountain National Park each Memorial Day. After all, this was the unofficial start of summer, and what better way to celebrate than a hike in the mountains, despite the fact that the snow never disappears until July? Of course, once we got on the trail and headed up the slope, the snow got deeper and deeper, and the mist thicker and thicker. When George said he wanted to try out his orienteering skills and head off the trail, Lisa always began to cry and demand we head back down to the car. Which we did, winding up drinking beer back in Estes Park. We did this every year, with the same result, and now that I think back on it, I believe this was George's plan all along. It took me only 35 years to figure this out. And yes - in the photograph on the left are Lisa and George, on the trail back in the 1980s.

No comments:

Post a Comment