Friday, May 27, 2022

The DAM - One Of The Seven Best New Museums In The World? Really?


According to Conde Nast Traveler Magazine, the Denver Art Museum (the DAM) is one of the seven best new museums in the world. That is really saying something, considering that the museum has been around since 1919 (the same year the Chicago White Sox threw the World's Series. But I digress). Conde Nast reasons that since the eight-story Martin Building reopened in late 2021 after a four-year, 150-million-dollar remodeling, it qualifies as new. And I have to say, the new welcome center (the circular structure to the right of the Martin Building in the photograph above) is very nice. However, to me, the galleries in the Martin Building look pretty much the same as before the remodel. And I am still pretty peeved that the free buffet on Untitled Final Fridays, a monthly event that was halted due to the remodel, has not restarted. To me, that was always the artistic highlight of Final Friday, which has now been changed to a quarterly affair. But no matter. I imagine the publicity from Conde Nast will boost attendance at the DAM, but I advise visitors to eat first before they go. There is no free lunch, and you can quote me on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment