Monday, May 23, 2022

Remembering A Visit To Viscaya





I am guessing that my mother Mary, sister Susan, and I visited the Vizcaya Museum and Gardens back in the 1990s, although it could have been a little earlier or later. Vizcaya is a Mediterranean Revival style mansion, containing the original furniture, paintings, and antiques, with a beautiful formal garden, and located along Biscayne Bay in the Coconut Grove section of Miami, Florida. It was built by James Deering between 1914 and 1916. Deering's father founded International Harvester, and James and his brother Charles both started working there in 1880. Deering lived and worked in Chicago, but retired from International Harvester in 1908 for health reasons, after which he built Vizcaya for his winter residence. We all were very impressed with the place, especially the gardens, where I took the photograph on the left of my mother and sister sitting on some sort of seashell bench. Must be a Florida thing. James' brother Charles had a house on Biscayne Bay, too, a few miles to the south, also open to the public and which I have never visited. I am definitely putting that place on my "must see" list and visit it the next time my sister and I are down in Florida. Which considering the weather here in Denver lately, might be very soon indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment