Friday, June 27, 2014

Foreign Correspondent - A Book Review


I just finished reading an advance copy of Foreign Correspondent, courtesy of the bookstore where I work. It is an autobiography by David Greenway, who had an absolutely wonderful career as a foreign correspondent for Time Magazine, The Washington Post, the Boston  Globe, as well as several other publications.  He reported from Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Hong Kong, Iraq, Afghanistan, you name it.  He knew all the famous international reporters and photographers of his time, including Sean Flynn - the son of Errol Flynn, the famous movie actor - who rode off on a motorcycle to take photographs of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia one day and never came back.  When I was young, I too wanted to be a photojournalist in far off lands, but it never happened. It was probably all for the best, since most likely I would have gotten my ass shot off (pardon my French}. And that brings up the age old question:  would it be better to be a deceased adventurer like Sean Flynn or a live bookkeeper like me? The votes are still being counted on that one.  In any case, I would definitely recommend picking up a copy of Foreign Correspondent when it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment