Sunday, June 29, 2014

Still Another Auspicious Anniversary


Yesterday, June 28th, 2014 was the 100th anniversary of the unofficial start of World War I.  That was the day Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the throne of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and his wife, Sophie, were assassinated in Sarajevo, Bosnia, resulting in a bloody four year war that killed an estimated 16 million soldiers and civilians.  In memory of that historic event, I bought a copy of World War I Day By Day from the bookstore where I work, costing me, I might add, $8.50 with my store discount (who says I'm a cheapskate?).  In any case, I intend to read the book over the next four years, dutifully following each day's events.  And to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the end of that conflict - on Armistice Day, November 11th, 2018 - I fully intend to retire from the workforce and begin living a life of wild, decadent hedonism, just like they did in Paris after WWI.  Get ready Europe - here I come!  Eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment