Thursday, June 12, 2014

Stop By And Sculpt


As I mentioned in yesterday's Blog, I went to the Modern Masters Exhibit at the Denver Art Museum (The DAM) this past Sunday, and when I came out of the building it was pouring down rain.  As I walked back to my car, I noticed a homeless person sleeping next to his shopping cart underneath one of the museum's windows.  He obviously didn't want to "Stop By And Sculpt," just get out of the rain and find someplace to sleep.  Denver has a significant homeless population, and ever since the City Council banned overnight camping (targeting the homeless), the issue has been mired in controversy.  A local group, Occupy Denver, has been protesting the ban in front of the Tattered Cover Bookstores on Friday nights, simply because The Tattered Cover belongs to The Downtown Partnership, a civic organization which supported the ban. Occupy Denver has also protested the ban, on a regular basis, in front of the residence of the President of the Downtown Partnership, which also seems a bit extreme.  I suggest that instead of protesting against the ban, they should work on providing more housing and support for these poor people.  Perhaps they feel doing that would not be nearly as fun and exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment