Sunday, July 27, 2014

Happy Anniversary!



Today would have been my mother and father's 74th wedding anniversary.  The photograph on the left shows my mother Mary and father Nelson on their wedding day back in 1940.  They were married at the farm of my father's Uncle John just west of Geneva, Illinois.  Uncle John, in addition to running a farm, was also a plumber.  His plumbing shop in Geneva, by the way, is now the very upscale Mill Race Inn restaurant.  In any case, my Uncle Jack (my father's brother) has very fond memories of that farm, where he worked during the summers.  My sister Susan also has very fond memories of feeding the animals there.  My mother, on the other hand, once told me that she and my father "were married in somebody's old farmhouse," and I got the feeling she was still unhappy with that arrangement even after 65 years.  Oh well, the price was right, as we Hoyts are fond of saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment