Thursday, December 11, 2014

A Passion To Lead


I picked up a copy of a beautiful book called A Passion to Lead:  Theodore Roosevelt in his Own Words the other day at the Bookstore where I work here in Denver.  It looks very much like a leather-bound volume, has many wonderful photographs, and cost a mere $10 (even less after my employee discount). You can't find deals like that or even realize that they exist on Amazon, let me tell you.  Plus, as an added bonus, the book has a number of photographs of one of my ancestors, General Joseph E. Wheeler. Wheeler (wearing a beard in the photographs above) was a Confederate Calvary General who fought Sherman during the Civil War.  Later, he was a senator from Mississippi and fought under Teddy Roosevelt at San Juan Hill. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what relation Wheeler was to us.  My father was always bringing him up (Wheeler's nickname was Fightin' Joe), but the only person who would have known was my father's mother (my grandmother), Fleta Wheeler.  Yes - Fleta!.  My point - and I do have one - is that you should support your local bookstore.  And also, why don't parents name their children Fleta anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment