Friday, December 5, 2014

The National Western Stock Show


For a city that has been trying to shed it's "Cow Town" image for the past 40 years or so, Denver certainly celebrates and embraces The National Western Stock Show, held annually at the Denver Coliseum, near the old stockyards.  The 16 day event begins in a mere 5 weeks, and I have to admit that it is kind of a fun thing to attend.  It gives you a chance to experience a different world, made up of people from all over the Midwest and Great Plains, who still lead a rural lifestyle that I didn't think existed anymore.  Plus, you get to take photographs of a variety of farm animals, such as the one in the "sheep-shot" above.  These creatures actually seem to like being photographed, unlike many people I know (who I usually wind up photographing anyway).  One word of advice, however. Every day of the event a rodeo is held.  As Ed, my old boss at the University of Denver Bookstore, once said about rodeos, "once is interesting, twice is a mistake." And even once seems to last an eternity, not that I'm criticizing or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment