Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Do Grammar Schools Still Exist?


I have been reading Michael Harvey's new book Brighton (which is excellent, by the way), and in one of the chapters the main character reminisces about his old grammar school.  It made me stop and think about my old grammar school, Fort Dearborn, located in the Brainerd neighborhood on the south side of Chicago, where I grew up.  I visited Brainerd a few years ago, and the school is still going strong.  But I wonder if it is still called a grammar school?  These days I hear about elementary schools, middle schools, and junior highs, but never about grammar schools.  Has the name been eliminated?   And if so, why?  In any case, I took the above photograph of one of the Kloak kids (I think he was one of about 20 or 30 brothers and sisters) in front of Fort Dearborn in 1963, back when I was a budding young 10 year old photographer.  Such talent even then!  Can you believe it?

No comments:

Post a Comment