Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Book Of Knowledge


When my sister was growing up, she religiously read a set of encyclopedias called The Book of Knowledge.  The set we had was the 1918 edition, and it was filled with illustrations, short stories, poetry, and of course information on any subject you needed to know about, assuming you could use pre-1918 data.  When I was growing up, I used a set of The American Encyclopedia for my school work, since it had more updated information in it, such as how World War I turned out.  In any case, both encyclopedia sets were given away when we moved to a new home.  And then I saw a set of The Book of Knowledge for sale for a pretty cheap price on the internet, and ordered it.  My sister took a look at it and immediately turned up her nose. It was the 1943 edition, and had far more photographs than illustrations, and far more encyclopedia type facts than short stories and poetry.  And so if any of you our there have a set of the 1918 edition you want to get rid of cheaply, let me know.  After all, you have Wikipedia now online, and you already know how World War I came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment