Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Is Michael Harvey Headed for The Big Time?


Michael Harvey is a mystery writer who writes a series of books that take place in Chicago.  They include The Third Rail, The Chicago Way, and The Governor's Wife.  All of them are very well written, and since they take place in Chicago, my old home own, they are also a lot of fun to read.  However, I just recently picked up an advance reading copy of his new book, Brighton, which takes place in Boston and is a very serious novel.  I know it is a serious novel because I have started to read it and it is depressing as hell.  It reminds me a lot of Mystic River, written by Dennis Lehane, which also takes place in Boston.  Lehane wrote a very enjoyable detective series that took place in Boston, but once Mystic River became a best seller and was made into a movie, Lehane stopped writing the series and continued to write "serious" novels.  I just hope Harvey won't do the same if this new book is a big success (the movie rights have already been sold before publication).  Perhaps I'll write him a threatening letter.  That always works.

No comments:

Post a Comment