Saturday, April 23, 2016

The Train To The Plane Is Up And Running!



The train between downtown Denver's Union Station and Denver International Airport (DIA) opened yesterday with much fanfare.  It is part of the "Fast Tracks" initiative that Denver voters approved a few years ago to upgrade public transportation in the metro area. It is important to remember that the train to the plane stays mainly on the plain, since DIA is located, as far as I can tell, very close to the Kansas border.  It will now take only 27 minutes by train to get to the airport, which means the train must travel around 200 miles per hour.  I took the photograph on the left of the crowds lined up to take a free ride out to the airport.  It says a lot about Denver that so many people lined up to ride all that way to the airport on a Friday night, and not even have to fly anywhere.




And as long as I was there, I went inside Union Station to check out the action.  As frequent Blog readers know, Union Station was remodeled a few years ago and has become one of the hippest places in town. However, it looked to me like the place was not as crowded on this particular Friday night as in the past.  In fact, there was only a very short line to buy a drink at the Terminal Bar.  Perhaps everyone was taking a free train ride out to the airport. Or else could a new hot spot be replacing Union Station?  And if so, why haven't I heard about it?  I am, after all, a hipster myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment