Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Remembering The Paramount




I had a rare night off from my 2 jobs last week and drove into downtown Denver to see what was happening.  And the answer is a lot.  New buildings going up, restaurants and bars doing a box office business, and people just out and about enjoying the evening.  As I walked around town, I took the photograph to the left of the Paramount Theater's marquee.  The Paramount is an old time Denver movie theater that is enjoying a new life hosting live music and other events.  The last time I was in the place was when I went to hear Hunter S. Thompson speak.  He was about 2 hours late.  A lot of the fans were a bit on the strange side, and the place had a full bar doing a bang up business, which was a very bad combination.  By the time Hunter showed up, the audience was pretty rowdy.  The main thing I remember about the evening is that it was an election year, and Thompson seemed to be to be far more level headed than his fans.  He said that everyone needed to get out there and vote, since that was the only way to change things.  As I walked past the Paramount the other night, I saw that people were lining up to hear Generation Axe. Probably a 1940s dance band.

No comments:

Post a Comment