Saturday, April 9, 2016

Opening Day 2016


I worked half a day at the bookstore where I serve as the bookkeeper, and then took the Colfax bus (always good entertainment) downtown, where I walked to Coors Field to attend the Opening Day baseball game between the Colorado Rockies and San Diego Padres.  It was a big party the entire length of my walk, with the street-side patios of the bars and restaurants bursting at the seams, music everywhere, and dozens of booths set up in front of the ballpark.  I immediately went to the upper deck to stake out the best position to take a photograph of all the Opening Day pageantry, and then headed down to my seats.  And no - the above photograph of Denver's Coor's Field is not the same one as last year.  It is just that the Opening Day ceremonies are the same every year.  Don't blame the photographer.  In  any case, everyone was in a great holiday mood - until the Rockies started to play baseball, of course.  Their pitching looks as bad as I have ever seen it, and I truly thought the 4th and 5th innings would go on forever, since the Rockies pitchers kept giving up hit after hit and walk after walk.  I had to leave at the top of the 9th inning, with San Diego leading the Rockies by a score of 11 to 6.  I later learned the final score was 13 to 7, meaning the agony went on for a little while longer.  But hey.  Maybe it was just Opening Day jitters.

No comments:

Post a Comment