Saturday, May 21, 2016

Armed Forces Day





Today is Armed Forces Day - which I must admit I never knew existed before this week. But to make up for this, I am today featuring a photograph of my father Nelson, taken when he was in the army during World War II.  It was quite a shock to him when he was drafted, since he was in his mid thirties at the time, but he was a dentist, and I guess the army needed dentists.  He was sent to Okinawa , while his friend Ed, also a dentist and drafted at the same time, was sent to Paris. Ed led the good life in Paris, while my father experienced typhoons in Okinawa.  Another example of life not being fair.  And just a side note:  my father loved the television show MASH, and said that it actually showed what it was really like to be in one of those units.  How bout that?

No comments:

Post a Comment