Monday, May 16, 2016

The Heartbreak Of Searching For Parking




As regular Blog Readers know, I live just across the street from the University of Denver and just two doors down from the Light Rail Station.  In addition to that, because of an apartment shortage, there is a lot of apartment construction going on here.  This has resulted in a huge parking spot shortage.  The students who live around here usually have five to ten roommates - all with cars - with one available parking space at their building. Plus, since there is a nearby light rail station, the city is allowing higher density developments to be built in the area, furthering their goal of more "transit oriented development."  The theory is that people will walk to the Light Rail Station and take the train to work.  They do indeed do this, but all of them have cars, allowing them to hop right into them when needed.  The result is that finding a parking space in this neighborhood can be hellish. And why do I care, if my condo comes with it's own parking space?  Because whenever an event takes place across the street at DU, or there is a big party in my building, someone often parks in my spot.  I could have them towed, but am afraid that if I do, the offenders will take revenge on my car when they come back and find my car in that spot instead of theirs.  Which results in my circling the neighborhood all night looking for a place for my car.  There is nothing like an experience like this to make a curmudgeon even more curmudgeonly.

No comments:

Post a Comment