Monday, May 30, 2016

Happy Memorial Day!


I know I wrote about this last year, but in point of fact,  I don't care - just call me sentimental.  Years ago it was a tradition for my sister Susan, my brother-in-law George, and my then wife Lisa and I to go on a Memorial Day hike in Rocky Mountain National Park.  George had purchased a copy of the book Staying Found and always wanted to go off the trail to test his orienteering skills.  Of course, Memorial Day is still pretty early to go hiking in the mountains of Colorado, and so we would be walking uphill though the fog through deeper and deeper snow drifts.  Eventually Lisa (seen in the photograph above contemplating her fate) would start crying and demand that we turn back. George would eventually acquiescence, and  we would head back to Estes Park, find a local bistro, and drink beer, which I think was my brother-in-law George's plan all along. My sister Susan called me the other day and told me she wanted to restart that tradition this year, and to be sure to invite Lisa - now living in San Francisco - along.  I did just that, but Lisa said she wishes she could come along, but wasn't able to jet in.  George said he had to work.  Party poopers.  I can envision that fog shrouded trail right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment