Sunday, May 22, 2016

Watching Cricket With Mark


I watched the cricket match between the Gujahar Lions and the Mumbai Indians on the computer with my friend Mark yesterday afternoon.  This India Premier League match took place at Green Park Stadium in Kanpur, India.  The temperature was around 100 degrees, but the heat didn't seem to bother anyone.  I guess they are used to it there, kind of like the citizens of St. Louis.  In any  case, I noticed several interesting things while watching the game.  One is that each team has cheerleaders, which I assume is an old cricket tradition.   I imagine they even had cheerleaders back in Victorian times in England.  I wonder why Charles Dickens never mentioned this in his novels?  Also, even more shocking, after watching several games with Mark, I actually understand the game.  And even like it.  No one is more shocked at this than me.  To commemorate the day, I took the above photograph of Mark wearing his Chennai Super Kings cricket jersey.  Chennai, for all you Indiaphiles, is the new name for Madras, and is located on the Bay of Bengal. And for all you cricket fans, the Gujahar Lions won the match and are in the tournament playoffs.  Mumbai is out of it.  As Cubs fans like to say, wait till next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment