Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Zoo - Part II



Sunday afternoon I went to the Denver Zoo after I got off work at my part-time job, and in addition to visiting the new zoo babies, I stopped by "The Edge," the new home for the zoo's tigers.  Zoo officials say that the new tiger compound allows visitors to get much closer to the animals, but to me it still looks like a big cage - two big cages, as a matter of fact.  The tiger in one cage was snoozing, and the other was pacing along the perimeter of his or her new home.  I took the photo on the left during a brief period when she or he sat down near the exhibit's window.


I took the photograph of the spider monkey in the photograph on the right while he was sitting in his cage in the Monkey House, built in 1908. The cages are pretty small, and you have to feel sorry for the animals confined there, destined to live out their lives in such a small space.  I'm not sure why these particular monkeys are confined to these cages, while others are allowed to roam in much larger areas.  Did they do something bad?  Are these monkeys in solitary confinement for a reason?  I say some non-profit organization should appeal to the governor for a pardon.  Let them roam the grounds freely, like those peacocks that seem to be all over the place.  They won't run away.  They must know a good thing when they see it, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment