Tuesday, June 12, 2018

A Visit To Breckenridge



I drove up to Breckenridge this past Saturday afternoon to walk around and enjoy the cool Colorado mountain air. Breckenridge is an old mountain town that has been gentrified up the wazoo.  It is what you would imagine a 19th century mining town would be like if it were populated by wealthy yuppies.  There are lots of restaurants, bars, shops, and real estate offices advertising properties often priced above a million dollars.  I myself prefer this kind of ambiance.  I have been to nearby Leadville - another historic mining town - and it still resembles what it must have looked like back in the 19th century, which is not pretty.  Of course, it has been years since I have visited there, so maybe by now it has been all gussied up, but I doubt it. Leadville is the town where Baby Doe Tabor, told by her husband on his deathbed to always hold on to the Matchless Mine, froze to death in her cabin one winter.  Something like that has a way of permeating the atmosphere of a place.

No comments:

Post a Comment