Friday, June 1, 2018

The Chancellor Speaks!



Rebecca Chop, Chancellor of the University of Denver, gave a speech this past Wednesday morning announcing DU's redevelopment plans for the campus.  I have been anxiously awaiting this announcement for several years now, since I live across the street from DU and feared they might have designs on my condo building. Fortunately, there was no need to worry.  The "Village," as they call it, will be located just across the street, and will include a hotel, retail, housing, the bookstore (where I once worked), and even a welcome center for one and all.  And as you can see in the above drawing, my building, seen in the bottom right hand corner, is still standing, and even prominently featured.  It has been called an example of "Soviet style architecture," probably the only example in Denver, and so I assume that both DU and the City of Denver want to preserve such an historic structure.  In any case, the university will build a freshman dorm, a new student center, and a career center first, before starting to build The Village, and so it will be a while before I will be able to walk across the street and have a drink at the hotel bar.  But no problem.  That is far better than the prediction of my co-worker Peter, who said I would probably be living on the streets of the village after my building was torn down.  That was not a happy thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment