Sunday, June 17, 2018

Happy Father's Day!



Today is Father's Day, and if my father Nelson was alive today, he would be 109 years old, which probably would have made him pretty damn grumpy.  I took the above photograph of him in November of 1969, sitting in the living room of my sister Susan and brother-in-law George's apartment at 1130 South Michigan Avenue in Chicago, right across the street from Grant Park.  Dad was a youthful 60 years old back then, five years younger than I am now.  I think of myself as just a kid even today, but back then I thought my father was old as the hills. Amazing how your perspective changes as you get older.  Dad was a dentist all his life, and just hated it.  Happily, 6 1/2 years after this photo was taken, he and my mother Mary retired to Stuart, Florida, where they spent their happiest years.  Good for them.  Happy Father's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment