Tuesday, September 4, 2018

A Truly Memorable Day!



Today is a truly memorable day.  For the first time in 60 years, I do not have to go anywhere or do anything if I truly do not want to do it.  Exactly 60 year ago, I was awoken by my parents in our house in the Brainerd neighborhood on the south side of Chicago, and taken to kindergarten at Fort Dearborn Grammar School (as seen in the above photo, where I am sitting, oblivious to what would happen over the next 60 years, on the bottom left).  From that day on, like most people, I  have had to attend grammar school, high school, and college.  After that, I worked at Walden Books in North Riverside and Yorktown Shopping Centers in the western suburbs of Chicago, then on to Hatch's Bookstore here in Denver, and then almost 28 years at the University of Denver Bookstore, spending the last 6 years at various part-time jobs and a full-time job as the bookkeeper at the Tattered Cover Bookstore. This is only my fourth day of retirement, but I can tell you right now that not working is much better than working, unless you really are doing something you truly love. Good luck with that.  And as you can see, I am not a glass half full kind of guy.  And now that I am retired, who cares? Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment