Saturday, September 29, 2018

Vacation Nostalgia



Today I am featuring a photograph that I took on a trip with my parents Nelson and Mary and my sister Susan to Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina back in the late 1970s.  I am pretty sure the photograph was taken in Savannah, since the background looks like one of that city's many little historic squares, around which the houses were located.  Now THAT is the way to build a city.  It was founded in 1733 by General James Oglethorpe, and most of the city has been preserved, making it a wonderful place to visit.  If you get up early enough, you can walk around these little parks and imagine that you are still living in the 1700s. Back when we visited it appeared to be a quiet southern town, but after the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil came out, the place became an extremely popular tourist destination.  I wonder what it is like now after all these years?  Only one good way to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment