Sunday, September 30, 2018

Vacation Nostalgia Continued







As long as I featured a photo of my family taken in Savannah, Georgia back in 1979 yesterday, I figured I would give equal time to Charleston, which we also visited on that long ago trip.  I think the photograph on the left of my father Nelson was taken on Church Street, where most if not all of the homes date from the 1700s. Just as in Savannah, walking down that street early in the morning can make you feel like you are back in pre-revolutionary America.  Almost every house on that street has a plaque on the wall commemorating some historical event that took place inside.  These houses, by the way, are built with the narrow side on the street, with the long side, fronted by a veranda, on the side of the lot.  This was because houses back then were taxed by how much frontage they took up along the street.  I guess taxes were just as popular back then as they are now.  Surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment