Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Play Ball!





I went with my friend Mark to see Play Ball! - a collection of baseball memorabilia owned by Denverite Marshall Fogel - at the History Colorado Museum this past Saturday afternoon.  Mark tells me Fogel is a retired lawyer who often donates books and other items to the University of Denver's Anderson Academic Commons (the library), where Mark works.  The exhibit is not extensive, but very interesting.  There are lots of gloves, jerseys, photographs, and other memorabilia on display.  Since flash photography was not allowed, I took a photo of Mark (seen on the left) outside the exhibit as we left.



However, I did not need flash to take the photograph on the right, which shows a portion of the bats on display, used by some of the most famous players in baseball and behind which is a large photograph of Lou Gehrig. My only complaint was that at the back of the exhibit they had a "case of shame," which featured memorabilia used by Pete Rose, Mark McGwire,  and none other than Shoeless Joe Jackson of the Chicago "Black Sox."  The White Sox did indeed throw the World Series in 1919, but they also played for the cheapest owner in the history of baseball (Charles Comiskey), and Shoeless Joe played flawless baseball during the entire series.  I say move him out of the case of shame now!

No comments:

Post a Comment