Friday, September 21, 2018

More Chicago Nostalgia



My sister Susan ran across the above photograph the other day and gave it to me to scan into my computer. It was taken in the family room of our house in south suburban Country Club Hills, Illinois (just south of Chicago, and not my favorite place in the world, I might add) sometime in the early 1970s.  On the left is Jack London, a really nice guy who worked all his life for International Harvester and who was married to my cousin Shirley (my mother Mary's 1st cousin). On the right is my father Nelson.  We moved to Country Club Hills in 1966 and stayed there until 1976, when my parents moved to Florida.  Their move to Stuart, Florida, and my own move to Forest Park, Illinois (just west of Oak Park and Chicago) turned out to be a good move for all concerned. And by the way, the mola seen in the background of the photograph is currently hanging over the chest of drawers in the bedroom of my condo.  It was made by the Guna people (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guna_people), who live off the coast of Panama on the San Blas Islands.  My brother-in-law George collected molas like these while growing up in the Canal Zone of Panama, and gave them to me when he and my sister Susan finally got tired of them. Priceless works of art, no doubt. Has my ship come in?  Is it the Titanic?

No comments:

Post a Comment