Saturday, February 9, 2019

Hanging Out In Old Town Fort Collins





I drove up to Fort Collins from Denver to drive my sister Susan around on her errands, and while she was at the beauty parlor, took the opportunity to drive to Old Town Fort Collins to drop off some paperwork to the lawyer who we have engaged to settle the estate of my late brother-in-law George.  The lawyer has his office in the Opera Galleria Building, right on College Avenue.  This was originally Fort Collin's opera house, built in the 1880s, and as I left the lawyer's office, I took the opportunity to take the photograph on the left of the ceiling in the atrium. The building now consists of retail shops on the ground floor, and both offices and condos on the second and third floors.





Later that day, Susan and I decided to have dinner in Old Town, and first decided to have a drink at The Forge, a bar located in Old Firehouse Alley.  We had passed it several times in the past, and I am always intrigued by bars located in alleys.  I think this goes back to watching Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak in the movie Bell, Book, and Candle.  There was a big scene in the movie which took place at The Diogenes Club, a gathering place for the witches and wizards in Manhattan.  There were no witches and wizards (as far as I could tell) at The Forge.  It has a great, low key atmosphere, but I was kind of surprised to see that they served me a 12 ounce beer (that did not have a high alcohol content) for the same price as a pint everywhere else, and the food menu was damn strange.  We wound up eating at The Union, just down the block and a much better deal, beer and food wise.  The photograph on the right, by the way, is of a spiral staircase just outside the entrance to The Forge, leading up to God knows where.  Perhaps to a witches coven?




Regardless of the question of witchcraft in Fort Collins (and I have to admit that I am probably the only person in the world who has even given any thought to this subject), I must complement the City of Fort Collins for turning the alleys in Old Town into very pleasant, people friendly zones.  I took the photograph on the left at the entrance to Old Firehouse Alley, where it meets Linden Street.  And what does this mural mean?  Probably that witchcraft is alive and well in Fort Collins, and for God's sake don't cross them.  I myself certainly won't.  Like everyone else, I already have a lot of issues to deal with, and dealing with witches will not help.  Just rent the movie Rosemary's Baby to see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment